Met. litʹe Ukr., 2019, Tom 27, №10-12, P.82-88
A.N. Smirnov1, Dr. Sci. (Engin.), Professor, Leading Researcher, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, https://orcid.org/0000-0001-5247-3908
G.G. Nemsadze2, Head of the Supervisory Board, e-mail: email@example.com, https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6508-8208
R.A. Dzhodzhua2, Director for Strategy and Development, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
K.N. Sharandin3, CEO, e-mail: email@example.com
D.V. Ryabyi3,1, Deputy Director, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1Physico-technological Institute of Metals and Alloys of the NAS of Ukraine (Kyiv, Ukraine)
2PJSC “CUVCIF “General Investment Resources” (Kyiv, Ukraine)
3LLC GIR-Engineering (Dnipro, Ukraine)
In the given article the developed universal filtering system (UFS) is resulted, allowing to carry out effectively metal refining
in an intermediate ladle of the continuous casting machine (CCM) during casting. This system was developed on the basis of
deep theoretical analysis, physical modeling and industrial research.
A number of laboratory tests with the use of models were carried out. Physical modeling allowed to determine the optimal
design parameters of the filtering system elements, as well as the choice of their optimal quantity and location in the volume
of the intermediate ladle, which allows to achieve the highest efficiency of removal of non-metallic inclusions and to ensure
stable and safe operation of the intermediate ladle during casting of the metal series at CCM.
As a result of theoretical, laboratory and industrial researches it is shown that blowing of a liquid bath of metal in an industrial
ladle with argon provides refining effect in part of removal of large non-metallic inclusions. The greatest effect can be achieved
with the use of bubble beams (blocks), providing bubble blowing.
The results of industrial research at one of the metallurgical enterprises with converter steel production, which includes several
slab CCMs, are presented. In industrial conditions it is established that the number of large single non-metallic inclusions is
lower than in comparative slabs (without blowing) when blowing steel with argon in the tundish.
The developed system "UFS" allows to reduce the range of the general index of metal contamination by non-metallic inclusions
due to the complex approach to metal refining in the intermediate ladle. It should be noted, that this system has increased
versatility and the experience can be used at the other enterprises of the industry, regardless of the type of CCM and design
features of the intermediate ladle.
Keywords: CCM, tundish, filtering unit, quality improvement, non-metallic inclusions, argon purge, metal refining, UFS.
1. Sahai, Y., Emi, T. (2008). Tundish Technology for Clean Steel Production. New Jersey: World Scientific, 329 p.
2. Cramb, A.W. (Ed.) (2003). Casting Volume. Pittsburgh, PA: The AISE Steel Foundation, 2003. 886 p.
3. Zhang, L., Thomas, B.G. (2003). State of the Art in Evaluation and Control of Steel Cleanliness. ISIJ International, vol. 43,
no. 3, pp. 271–291.
4. Kimura, H., Mori, M., Miura, R. et al. (1994). Innovative Technologies in Continuous Casting Tundish. Nippon Steel Technical
Report, no. 61, April, pp. 22–28.
5. S. Garcia-Hernandez, J.J. de Barreto, J.A. Ramos-Banderas, G. Solorio-Diaz. (2010). Modeling study of the vortex and short
circuit flow effect on inclusion removal in a slab tundish. Steel Research International, vol. 81, no. 36, pp. 453–460.
6. Geoffrey Brooks, Yuhua Pan, Subagyo, Ken Coley. (2005). Modeling of trajectory and residence time of metal droplets in slagmetal-
gas emulsions in oxygen steelmaking. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, vol. 36, no. 4, pр. 525–535.
7. Solhed, H., Jonsson, L., Jonsson, P. (2002). A theoretical and Experimental Study of Continuous Casting Tundish Focusing on
Slag-Steel Interaction. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, vol. 33, no. 2. April, pp. 173–185 (13).
8. Smirnov, A.N., Efimova, V.G., Kravchenko, A.V. (2014). Development of the ring porous flushing block design for steel refining in the
intermediate ladle of the CCM. New refractories, no. 6, pp. 3–8 [in Russian].
9. Smirnov, A.N., Efimova, V.G., Kravchenko, A.V. (2013). Investigation of conditions of nonmetallic inclusions surfacing during
argon blowing of the intermediate ladle of CCM. Message 1. News from universities. Ferrous metallurgy, no. 11, pp. 8–13